Monday, October 17, 2011

Revisiting a barrio girl's life goals

I've been told that life is what you make it. And that you should take time to smell the roses. Life is a journey, not a destination. 

It has never occurred to me that I would one day ponder on the things that really truly matters to me. Once, a friend told me to accumulate on experiences and not material things in response to my query on why he keeps on climbing mountains. How many summits does he need to quell his fascination of heights. Is Mount Everest not enough? 

It was one of those casual conversations that were never supposed to be serious in nature. And yet it hit me. And so, one day I took the time to take stock of where I was headed and how prepared am I to get there.

I have listed a few things to pick up along the way:
1. Have a purposeful life.
2. Build a house with a loft.
3. Save my first million at 35.
4. Buy my first car in 2010. Cash.
5. Travel. Get lost in the texture of other countries' culture.
* see Hong Kong in June 2008.
* visit some friends in the US
* explore Athens, London, Scotland, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Germany
* honeymoon in Paris and Venice
6. bask in the sun of Boracay
7. Get involved in social causes. Be part of the Habitat for Humanity.
8. Give my family, more love, more time.

This was written on my multiply blog in 2007. Four years down the road and am still not quite there. I am nowhere near getting my first million. Not even a layout for a house with a loft. I don't have enough moolah to buy a spanking brand new car. No involvement in social causes beyond my commentaries on the injustice of the world, the disparity of the rich and poor in this country. 
Here are some of the things that had happened since then. 

1. Am still trying to figure out how to live a purpose-driven life. 
2. Started saving my loose change in a coca-cola canister/coin bank. I have to start somewhere, right? 
3. I scaled Mt. Kinabalu in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia. Boy, it was hard!
Not quite to the summit yet. Didn't reach it, by the way.













4. I traveled. I soaked up in shopping, not too much in the culture, though. 
5. I vacationed in some of the beautiful places/resorts in the country -- Bellarocca Island Resort & Spa, Thunderbird Resort in Poro Point, among others. 
Santorini-like architecture of the villas in Bellarocca.














6. I enjoyed a 3-day carefree stay in Boracay. 
those were the days.












7. I haven't gotten past the Asian gateway; no Europe travel diaries to write yet. 
8. But I've seen a little of Vietnam, strolled the squares of Macau, dashed in Hong Kong and had a lovely, lovely time in Singapore. 
Beautiful Vietnam.


Ruins of St. Paul, Macau.
























Hong Kong.































I am SAM. Culture, eh?  
















 




9. I got engaged this year. By God's grace, I'll be married next year. No guarantee though that I'll honeymoon in Paris and Venice. 
10. I think I've made inroads with spending quality time and loving more my family, in spite of. 
11. I got promoted this year, yay! One of the perks of a promotion is to avail of a company lease car. Am still thinking about it. 

Hopefully, it won't take another four years for me to figure out what has become of my life goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment