Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tofu, zucchini and broccoli

I love tofu especially tofu steak. I've tried to concoct a meal out of it but I haven't made anything except for the fried variety. 

My friend Erika makes a mean tofu dish. I learned that she puts oyster sauce to add zest to it. Aha!

Last night, I tried my hand at it. I cooked sans the tomatoes. Lol. To say that I whipped a meal, added some greens to make a healthy vegetable dish. However, I have a confession to make: I haven't cooked a dish with zucchini and broccoli in it. 

Where I come from, the vegetables we cook and eat are of the local kind. I grew up eating the organic kind-- back when it wasn't even in vogue. My father loves to plant. At a time when my neighborhood wasn't densely populated yet, my father had rows and rows of pechay, raddish, tomatoes, eggplants and the occasional okra. And the healthiest vine of ampalaya (bitter gourd). 

But no broccoli or zucchini. So, while cooking last night I can't help but wonder how would I know if both were already cooked. If worse comes to worst, I'd say I was going for the blanched way. 

And then there's the matter of the oyster sauce. I bought this huge bottle from S&R. I don't recall exactly how an oyster sauce tastes. But I generously poured on my simmering tofu dish. A little drop spilled on my finger so I tasted it... hmmm, salty. 

I panicked! I drizzled my simmering pot with 1/8 of a cup of water. I put the fire volume to low. And crossed my fingers. 

A few minutes later, I have my first ever tofu dish in oyster sauce with zucchini and broccoli. 

It passed my taste test meter! This will definitely be re-created again in the next few weeks. Happy belly. 

XX

Sheng

No comments:

Post a Comment