Monday, September 17, 2012

Dashing Diva

When I was a little girl, I'd remember that mom would have a home service for manicure and pedicure, every Saturday afternoon. The nail technician (back then she's referred to as the manicurist) would settle in our balcony with all her implements -- nail polish of all shades, her tools, and her special stool. 

Curious, I'd check on the bottles and start duplicating what she's doing to my mom's nails. Sometimes, she'd do my little hands and feet for free. Most often than not, my mom would say that just give her the "clear polish." Perhaps, so she doesn't have to pay the full price? I don't know the answer. 

Back then, I thought it was cool to have your very own manicurist. Then, when I was  living in the city, my dorm mates and I had the same arrangement. A manicurist would come to our apartment and will take turns being manicured. She does it from dusk until around 11 o'clock in the evening. I guess she was moonlighting from her salon duties, at night. It was cool except that smudges are the norm the morning after. 

In the big city (a.k.a Manila) the same procedure is now called a nail spa. Talk about an upgrade. Big city, big name! Here's more. The menu for nail services is as dizzying as the menu of a medium-sized restaurant. All in the name of nail cleaning, filing, and buffing. 

Needless to say, the choices vary from spa to spa. Some promises zen-like relaxation. Others market it as an extension of one's duty for self-indulgence. Cosmopolitan drink to go with your mani and pedi? How about a cold/hot tea?

All these can be had if you're willing to shell out more cash. My personal preference is my usual nail salon. Not so cheap, not so pricey either. Just right for my price range. But last week, I did a detour at Dashing Diva in Greenbelt 5. 
Hell's Kitchen. (Nail polish shade). Very diva.
I used to go there. Back when I had more money and less money sense. This time though, I used my gift certificate. A friend of mine gifted it to me -- Erica, as her present, on her wedding! Yeah, I didn't do much. So, I got the surprise of my life. So, thoughtful. Love ya, Mrs. F!

How's a Dashing Diva experience? It feels like you're a diva, for half an hour or so. 

First. Once seated, the technician will hand you the menu for your service of choice while she gently tells you to soak your feet in a sudsy lukewarm water.  
Light scrubbing after the sudsy soak.
Second. You'll be handed some magazines for your reading pleasure and will be asked for your drink of choice. Tea or coffee? On Thursdays and Fridays, it's cocktail night! For free. 

Third. Choose your nail color from the nail swatch. All Dashing Diva colors. 
There are so many concoctions the technician puts on your nail. Cleansing, strengthening, etc.
Finally, when the nail base color, nail polish and top coat have been put on, you'll be directed to the salon's section for nail polish drying. Ah, smudges will never be an issue. Guaranteed long lasting polish. Unless, you take on hand washing clothes as your next chore.

So, if you want to feel like a diva even for just a day, go to Dashing Diva. The basic mani/pedi is P650. It's pricey but worth it. I suggest you do this for special events like on a date or breakup? Just kidding... at least on the breakup part. 

Dashing Diva is at: 

Beauty Bar Cosmetic Stores:
G/F The Power Plant Mall
Rockwell Center, Makati City
Tel. +63 2-898 1467

2/L Greenbelt 5
Esperanza St., Makati City
Tel. +63 2 757 5028


2/L BGC Central Square
Tel. +63 2 958 5347


XX 

Sheng

No comments:

Post a Comment