Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dog-ears

 (Re-post from my old live journal account.)

"If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all." - Oscar Wilde

For as long as I can remember, I had always been fascinated by the written word. As a young girl, I am enthralled and amazed at the world beyond my reality. Early on, my parents had encouraged me to read. Not much prodding, just letting me be. To me, the freedom meant more books to devour. My playground was the library.

I learned to read at a very young age. Probably not as young compared to kids today. (They're way too advanced these days. I wonder, if it's the formula.) One summer, we vacationed in our grandparent's farm. At that time, there was no electricity yet. But that did not deter me. I used a kerosene lamp (gasera) to illuminate the pages, night after night.

My faithful reading companion. (Photo taken from Google Images)

Needless to say, I love books. My love affair with book paper, ink, paperback tickle my imagination. So much that I can scrimp on other things; never on books. And I've learned to never shy from networking with other bookworms. Sayang naman the opportunity to barter :-)

The digital age has not diminished man's insatiable want for written word. In fact, technology merely digitized the books we love. Today, there is more reason to read; it's available anywhere, everywhere.

My all-time favorite book. (Photo taken from Google Images)

However, am still drawn to the romance of reading the printed copies. Mind you, lugging books around when you're out in the mall, parks or vacation spots, is very taxing. Still, I like the texture of dog-eared books. It gives me a sense of accomplishment. And it never fail to bring a smile to my face whenever I looked at those worn and marked books. When I look at my bookshelf, boy, I feel giddy.

Some of the titles I have.

Right now, am very tempted to say goodbye to prints. I'm trying to do my bit for the environment. But the more attractive reason is I want to get an iPad. However, am still too attached with my cute bookmarks. Though, I don't use it so well. Somewhere after the first chapter, am back to folding the edges to mark it. Dog-ears.

Some cute bookmarks I found on the net. Can't find my own "collection".

More and more research have concluded that literacy rate has gone down. Kids, nowadays are too pre-occuppied with video games and the internet.

My wish is for the next generation to discover the joys of reading. I am still as in love with books as I was at the age of five. Anytime, I'd trade my day job if I am offered to get paid reading. If it meant being a couch potato, I won't mind, at all.

I'd love to own this couch. Pottery Barn, I love thee!

Enjoy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment