Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Night at the Ayala Museum

Over the weekend, I injected some culture into my system. I finally had the chance to visit The Ayala Museum. Thanks to the generous offer of my good friend Mara ! She shared her windfall -- complimentary tickets for two!


Being a girl from the barrio, I only know of museums from the books and even magazines. Then, I moved to the big city over five years ago. Visiting a museum was in my bucket list. My friend Zarah and I have been planning for ages but it never seemed to happen. Life took over. 

Mara's offer is heaven sent. Doubly so when our visit coincided with the exhibit of Botong Francisco: A Nation Imagined. How lucky that we get to see the works of one National Artist. A few years back, I saw some of the works of Fernando Amorosolo -- they were very beautiful. 



One of his works. Lifted from The Ayala Museum site. (No photo-taking allowed inside)

Going back to Botong Francisco, I was excited to get acquainted with this dark-skinned painter from Angono, Rizal. We started with the 15-minute film on his life and works directed by Peque Gallaga. I surmised that his works depict historical references of everyday folks and even re-created through his artist's eye the historical events that shaped our country.
His thoughts resonated with me when it was narrated on the film that he chose his medium because it allows him to interpret events, people and places through his perspective. And that it allows him to record them so the next generation can see, appreciate and interpret his interpretation. 

Sigh. Everyone must see art, not just for its beauty but also for its cultural enrichment.

With a few more minutes to spare before the museum closes we breezed through the gold collection on the fourth level and the diorama on the third. I was sidetracked looking for a historical figure (hero or not) that has the same vertical endowment as me. Ha! Me and Carlos Romulo. He he he. 
The Ayala Museum is but one of the few privately-run museums in the country that shows terrific exhibits and is very accessible to the public. So, come, visit and soak in the culture. 

Museum visits should be a one-day affair. We're definitely going back to see, linger and appreciate the art and timeline on display. Soon. 

The Ayala Museum
Greenbelt 4, Makati Avenue corner Dela Rosa Street,
Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Museum Hours: Tuesday to Friday, 9:00am - 6:00pm
                       Saturday to Sunday, 10:00am - 7:00pm
                       Monday (Closed)
Museum Fee:  Adult (P225 - Resident; P425 - Non-resident)
                     Child (P75 - Resident; P250 - Non-resident)
 
XX

Sheng  

No comments:

Post a Comment