Friday, April 20, 2012

Of distance and friendships

Time is a great equalizer. It can tip the scale whether friendship endure or just gently fade into the distant background of our life. 

A decade ago, I was privileged to be friends with Berna and Doc Gerry's family. I remembered, I met them in church. All their three children were very young then.

I had sleepovers in their house as a halfway home in between home leaves when I took a job outside of Cebu. I remember dancing the tambourine with the two girls. And I remember that at one time, I taught them at Sunday school.

Many years later, my life took a spin in Manila. But I've always managed to set foot in Cebu, every once in a while, for work. But I can only count the times that we actually met up. 

So, when I was scheduled to have a business trip in Cebu this week, I made sure that I see them. And we did! Meet the Teveses.

with Berna and Abigail (the eldest).
Here with Berna and Annah (the midkid).
I saw the years pass by when I saw them. The hugs were awesome. Here are two beautiful kids who are no longer kids. Abby, grew up to have so many talents, singing among them. I learned that she sings professionally, on the side. Annah, on one hand, is on her third year in pre-med. And Aaron, the youngest and wonder boy, will be a high school senior, this June.  

Am not surprised, though how these kids turned out to be. Their parents are an inspiration to me, even then. It's just so awesome to learn of God's faithfulness to this God-fearing Christian teens. 

And Berna. She's the personification of a Proverbs 31 woman. It was but normal that I asked for her to be my wedding sponsor. The years did not put a dent to her. She still looked the same. So young. 

And our God is really an awesome God. When we met yesterday, I told her that yes, am getting married in October and that they're invited. The kids and her are all very excited. Which makes me very giddy, also. 

Suddenly, many amazing things started to unfold. One, Abby will be singing during the ceremony. Another, Berna will sponsor me my flowers! I am so overwhelmed! 

As a big sister to me, she asked where am I on my checklist. I told her that my most pressing issue is getting an officiating minister. Lo and behold, she told me that she'll re-introduce me to Pastor Alvin. 

This morning, I received the most wonderful news. Pastor Alvin has already affirmed to her that he can fly in to Davao on my wedding. I feel so blessed and so loved. 

On my wedding, I only prayed for three things: a husband who is God's plan for me, a meaningful ceremony and a celebration of God's faithfulness in our lives surrounded by family and friends. 

Indeed, He is letting me know not to worry. For His faithfulness and grace will always be bestowed upon us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment