Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Moving in, Moving out

I am a modern day nomad. For as long as I could remember, I had been moving around. In college, I tried living in two dormitories before finally settling into the last one. I stayed there for a little over two years. 

When I started working, I have tried several types of living arrangements. I lived in an apartment with five of my friends. It was okay and fun. But it offered very little privacy. But what it lacks in comfort totally made up for the much needed savings on cost of living expense. It worked out for almost a year. Then, one by one, my flatmates moved out. One got married, another got assigned to another city, another dropped from university. And so, we had to give up the huge apartment. 

Since then, I have lived in a small house on a hill in a charming village, in a crowded boarding house, in a converted garage, in a pad in an executive village, in the basement of a rich landlady -- this by far was my most memorable because the landlady ensures that the place is cleaned and tidied up by the house help everyday; it's like hotel living. 

In my mid-20s, I was fortunate to live in a compound of several newly-built bachelor's pads. I was among the first tenants. Back then, the owners who were doctors would only accept friends (doctors, also). Lucky for me, I may not be a doctor but I am good friends with the wife's best friend, naturally, a doctor also. ha ha ha. I stayed in the Agnila Pad for over 2 years. It was amazing. My pad was the coziest, my neighbors were the coolest and my landlords were the chummiest. There, I made friends for life. 
My pad in Tacloban at Doc Connie & Deo's beautiful compound. Memories. and. Parties.

In 2007, I moved to Manila. My first condo unit was in a very old condominium. But it was grand in a sense that it's just a block away from my workplace. In less than a year, the owner decided to sell the place. But I wasn't a taker so, I had to move out. Again. 

For three steady years, I lived in a very nice condominium with all the amenities one could ask for: a lap pool, I barely swam in; a gym, I rarely use; a game room, I have not played in; a function room, I have not used. But it was perfect -- proximity- and security-wise. Expensive, too. 

Reality bit me. It's either I move out and find a less pricey home or stay and be forever just barely making ends meet. I chose the former. 

So, I found myself living in the outskirts of the big city. At first, it was uncomfortable. The mind does a lot of tricks, you know. Yet, I found myself loving my community. My building isn't as nice but the neighborhood barangay tanod (citizen police) patrols the night. It makes me feel real safe. And my building guards are alright. 

And then again, I found myself in yet another dilemma, just a year later. My unit's owner wanted to sell it to me. But I wasn't up to it. So, I had to move out. Again! Since, I like my place very much, I didn't look far. I just moved one floor up. 

When you think long and hard, the constant moving takes a toll in one's well-being. I feel that I am not giving myself an opportunity to grow roots so I could truly be part of a community. 
My old condo unit. Just had to take a photo after it got emptied out of 3 years of my life.

However, a friend of mine once told me, "grow where you are planted." So, I've come to terms with my lifestyle. Until such time that I finally find my very own home, I shall make a home of the flats or condos where I temporarily live.

No comments:

Post a Comment