Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Keep Calm and Be Married

Many brides say that their wedding was just a blur. To us, it's as vivid as the blue sky when the heavens decided to smile down on us with a good weather. I can still feel the excitement, the many greetings and the small glitches that hounded us even at the last minute. There's always a backstage drama.

Let me walk you through.

Wedding Ceremony -- Garden Gazebo, Waterfront Insular Hotel Davao

"There will be times when your flame gets extinguished," says Pastor Alvin "but you have to remember that you need to work together to keep it burning."

Lighting the unity candle (with a message that went beyond the ritual)
I shall never forget what the Unity Candle stands for. Our friends and family got acquainted with what the candle really symbolizes in a married couple's relationship. Thank you, Pastor Alvin for truly making our ceremony meaningful, not just to us, but to our guests as well.
Garden ceremony x beach side. (Thank you, Bonna for translating my vision into this beautiful setup)

The bible. A marriage should be anchored on God's word.

I promised myself that I will not cry on my wedding day. Almost did on my my walk down the aisle. And really shed some tears on our thank you speech.  
The violinist texted me early in the morning with this message: Please walk as slowly as possible. Make it the longest walk of your life. (Cute)
More bubbles, please.
Tales at the reception. 
We kept everything minimal and small -- the guest list, the decors and the program. Just the way we liked it. We hoped that our wedding be remembered not because of the ostentatious decorations but of its intimate ambiance, camaraderie and love permeating the air. 
My friend and florist, Bonna.
Thank you to my "childhood" friend, Bonna whom I've known since I was a naive college freshman and just plucked from the barrio. On a short notice, she stepped to the plate of being my host, florist, decorator, driver and friend extraordinaire.

Our host and my makeup artist, Erika -- a colleague and a friend did an incredible job. Because I wanted our wedding to be really personal to us and our guests, on top of being the bride I was also the over-all chairman of our event. I wrote the script. And I wrote from the heart peppering it with anecdotes from years back and sharing the overwhelming generosity of time, talent and resources of everyone present. 
Make-up artist and host. Incredible feat; incredible friend.
After 'I do' tender moment I shared with my ex-boyfriend.

A long time ago, I've already decided that when the day comes that I'll become a bride, I will have calla lilies on my big day. I fell in love with them. They're unpretentious. They're elegant. My friend and sponsor, Berna flew in 80 dozens of them from Baguio. Flying them in had some glitches from the airline but in the greater scheme of things, it was nothing. 
Callas, candle lanterns and million dollar flowers. So, pinteresting!
Thank you, Sette for the cake.

 The cake was just a few details short of how I intended it to be. Still, it’s simply pretty and scrumptious, too.
Red velvet cake underneath the white ruffle design.

our personalized cake cutter
Thank you, Abby for singing Norah Jones' Come Away With Me. Even jamming with the pianist.
In the flurry of things, I haven't really seen or tasted the food served. But I got rave reviews from family and friends. Our photographer managed to snap a picture of the desserts
 
Davao is also famous for its lechon. So my matron of honor and dearest friend, Jinggay gifted us with one whole roasted pig. 
With my matron of honor Jinggay and hubby Buddy. Thanks for the lechon, dearie!
The speeches given were nothing short of exceptional. They were very personal and spoken with optimism, wisdom and love. 

Chris led the toast. I love that it was unconventional. It wasn't all about underhanded comments but a pragmatic reminder that as a couple -- it's all about being a 'WE' and less of I and You. And that the day marked the beginning of a TEAM. Thanks, Chris. In moments of absolute brattiness, I only need to pause and remind myself of the day, I raised my glass in your toast.

My dear friend & sponsor Berna, my Proverbs 31 woman and on being "not always insisting to be right" for a marriage to work.
Miguel on change and leadership, at home.
Family and friends flew in from Manila and Cebu. Those who were abroad gave their love in advance. Our heartfelt gratitude to all of you who have given us so much of your time and resources. 
a bit of fun. look at my girlfriends still looking very poised


Sneak peak on the pre-ceremony preps:

I believe it’s customary to document the littlest of things that are part of the wedding celebration. So, these were given artistic attention by our very reliable photographer and videographer from the Davao team of Lito Sy studio.

If you will notice, every detail of our wedding has branding; a nuance coming from a creative hubby.
the invite.
sponsor's giveaway

for the secondary sponsors
every guest went home with this

My throwaway bouquet (as created by Bonna)
my pretty shoes. thank you friends for pledging.
my groom looking dapper in his custom suit
They say that weddings are memorable. I say, ours is truly awesome. We made it an affair for us and the family and friends who were there. 

We sealed our union with a fervent prayer that God will always be at the center of our marriage. And that we grow as a couple in His love and grace.

Family and friends, cheers! And thank you for making our big day an awesome celebration. Thanks too for live tweeting. Our friends who couldn't come felt they were present because of you. 

P.S. The barrio girl is now a missus. And loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment